Harris Fellowship Application Information and Guidelines
ASOR expects to award two fellowships of $5,000 each in 2016 to support ASOR-affiliated field projects. The awards will be made to the PI's of two ASOR-affliated projects. The application deadline is December 15, 2015. We hope to announce the successful applications by January 15, 2016.
The Harris Endowment provides modest fellowships to worthy field projects that are CAP-affiliated, particularly to newer and smaller projects, to help them get started; and to discrete components of larger projects that can be completed with an award. The Endowment also provides support for off-season research, analysis, and publications. For 2016, ASOR plans to awards two fellowships of $5,000 each.
1. Applications are restricted to directors of ASOR/CAP-affiliated projects or senior staff members of affiliated projects. Applications by staff members other than the director must be accompanied by a letter of endorsement from the project director.
2. No more than two applications from a single project will be considered in any given year. In most cases, no project will receive more than one grant in a single year. Awards are usually not made to the same individual or project in successive years.
3. Harris Fellowships are not designed to fund travel for student volunteers (see the Heritage, MacAllister, Membership, Meyers, Meyers/Wright, Platt, Sheeler, and Strange/Midkiff Fellowships for student funding).
4. Funds will be made available from the ASOR office, and recipients may receive a Form 1099 for the funds received.
5. Please note that the Harris committee has broadened the selection criteria (for 2016 only) to include excavation projects that are not currently affiliated but plan to seek CAP affiliation. Non-affiliated may apply if they meet either of the following two criteria:
- The excavation project is in its first season of excavation, that director(s) plan to apply for CAP affiliation in 2016.
- The excavation project is in the planning stage and/or in the process of applying for a site or survey license. The director(s) agree to use the Harris grant money for the planning phase and agree to apply for CAP affiliation as soon as feasible.