ASOR's Mission Statement
Founded in 1900, ASOR is a non-profit organization dedicated to the archaeology of the Near East. ASOR's mission is to initiate, encourage and support research into, and public understanding of, the culture and history of the Near East from the earliest times:
- By fostering original research, archaeological excavations, and explorations.
- By encouraging scholarship in the basic languages, cultural histories and traditions of the Near Eastern world.
- By maintaining an active program of timely dissemination of research results and conclusions.
- By maintaining the highest ethical standards of scholarship and public discourse.
- By promoting and advocating the highest academic standards in teaching about the Near East and in interdisciplinary research.
- And by offering educational opportunities in Near Eastern history and archaeology to undergraduates and graduates in North American colleges and universities, and through outreach activities to the general public.